How Often Should You Change Your Oil?
Irvine-area drivers know that regular oil changes are essential to maintaining a vehicle’s health. Previously, Land Rover, Jaguar experts would recommend an oil change every 3,000 miles, but thanks to the advances in oil and engine technology, that interval has been extended. Now, most Land Rover, Jaguar vehicles can go between 7,500 and 10,000 miles between oil changes. However, we recommended referring to your vehicle’s owner’s manual for specific instructions about how often you should change your oil.
What are the Oil Change Frequency Guidelines?
Keep in mind that 7,500-10,000 miles is a guideline, and certain cars need an oil change sooner. If any of the below circumstances apply to you, visit the Land Rover Anaheim Hills service center:
- Commercial use
- Heavy towing
What Happens When You Don’t Change the Oil?
Your car’s engine depends on fresh and clean oil to operate safely. The oil lubricates the moving parts within the engine to prevent overheating and friction. Oil can collect debris while moving through the engine and carry it to the oil filter. With time, the filter and oil can get riddled with contaminants and should get replaced. By neglecting oil changes, you will begin noticing the following:
- Check engine and/or oil change lights are illuminated
- Dark and dirty oil
- Engine overheating
- Knocking sound coming from the engine
- Smoke emitting from the exhaust pipe
Additional Oil Change Tips
Before visiting our Chino Hills-area service center, check out these oil change facts. If you have any questions, call our service center.
- Don’t drive that often? An oil change is needed at least twice a year. Oil breaks down even if you’re not using your vehicle.
- During the oil change, be sure they also replace the oil filter. You can always visit the parts department at Land Rover Anaheim Hills for an oil filter if you’re doing a DIY oil change.
- Wondering whether to use synthetic vs. conventional oil? Check your owner’s manual. Synthetic oil can cost more, but some vehicles require it.
How Often Should I Check My Oil Level?
It’s recommended to check your oil level once a month to catch any leaks in the oil system. Check the oil’s color, as well as the appearance of any metal particles in the oil. Both are signs of serious problems. If you’re low on oil or experiencing another issue, schedule a service appointment.
Have Your Oil Changed in Anaheim!
At Land Rover Anaheim Hills, we offer excellent prices on oil changes, as well as service coupons for additional savings on our maintenance and repair tasks. Contact our service center with any questions about checking the oil level or reasons a car would overheat!